Denman Chambers was established in 1994 on Level 7 of the historic St James Trust Building in Elizabeth Street, Sydney.
The vision of the founding members was to establish a floor of like minded specialists located within proximity of the Federal and State courts and tribunals.
Denman Chambers was one of the original chambers in Sydney located in Phillip Street, however the redevelopment of the Phillip Street precinct in 1950s led to the members relocating and the chambers name no longer being utilised. The floor was resurrected in 1994.
Denman Chambers was opened by Justice Mary Gaudron of the High Court of Australia. In her speech, Justice Gaudron encouraged the members of chambers to draw inspiration from the life of Lady Gertrude Mary Denman (1884-1954) who was a significant public figure promoting the interests of women and was deeply involved in the work of the National Council of Women.
Several members of Denman Chambers have been appointed to the bench, including His Honour Justice Rothman of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, His Honour Judge Norrish of the District Court of New South Wales, and His Honour Justice Haylen of the Industrial Court of New South Wales.