Year of Admission to the NSW bar
Telephone (02) 9264 6899
areas of practice
- Work Health and Safety
- Inquests and Commissions of Inquiry
Wendy's practice includes:
- Advising defendants and regulatory bodies in respect of the prospects of either defending a prosecution brought under the work health safety legislation and/or securing a conviction for a breach of the work health safety legislation
- Advising on Notices issued by the regulatory bodies, such as SafeWork NSW and the Department of Industry, Skills and Regional Development, in relation to work health and safety investigations and inquiries
- Appearing in the District Court and Local Court in relation to prosecution proceedings brought for alleged contraventions of work health and safety legislation and associated legislation that are defended or have pleas entered for sentencing
- Providing advice on the statutory construction of the work health safety law
- Providing advice to defendant corporate bodies and individual officers of a corporate body on matters relating to compliance
- Appearing as junior counsel in work health safety appeals to the Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeal
- Providing advice on enforceable undertakings
Wendy appeared as junior counsel in the first Category 1 prosecution commenced by WorkSafe ACT arising out of a fatal incident to a worker and injuries to two other workers at a construction site when a concrete boom collapsed. Schwing Australia Pty Ltd and its engineer, Phillip O’Rourke, were both charged with contravening the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (ACT) in a manner that was reckless and exposed an individual to the risk of death or serious injury or illness. The case was successfully defended and a costs order made in favour of the defendants.
Wendy has also appeared in high-profile inquests, including the fatal shooting of Stephen Hodge, a worker at Warner’s Bay Post Office, by the police and the death of a motor cyclist due to the poor road surface of a newly laid approach to a bridge.
Wendy is listed in Doyle's Guide as a leading Employment & Work Health and Safety junior counsel.